Dream a little dream

I've been dreaming a lot about the next phase of life. Right now, we are in the thick of kids: with a middle schooler, two high schoolers, one college student, and one working. Also, we have pets.

But the years race by remarkably fast and, before long, I know that we will have an empty house.

Long time readers know my struggle with living in a People Warehouse in the middle of Stepford. It's a beautiful home, complete with its own Dynasty staircase. But it's really not me. I'm a small, lots of rooms, century home kind of girl. This is my idea of heaven:

1980s Victoria Magazine photo via Pinterest



There is a reason why I have every issue of Victoria magazine that's ever been published. I gave them away once and then spent years buying them back on ebay. I'm fairly committed to that small, overstuffed, old house sort of look that right now is limited to my office.

My office cabinet of curiosities / bookshelf is slightly out of control


But I also know that families grow, not shrink, as the years move forward. The ocean house is lovely, but far too small for occasions like Thanksgiving. And, it's an airplane ride away.

So, I've begun to think about combinations and permutations that will work for us in the future. I think I'd like a small century home in a town where I can walk to everything. And by everything, I mean a really good coffee shop and a bakery.

Remember the town in One True Thing? I loved that movie. Oh, I know it was about death and cheating husbands, but the town! The town was glorious. Almost as glorious as Renee Zellweger's red brown lipstick.


/via/

When I was younger, I was all about the cities, but now I'm all about the towns. I want a college town, if possible, with book shops and a good pub.

As for the house, it must have leaded glass windows. And a wood burning fireplace. And a porch. And a small kitchen because - let's face it - I have no idea what I'm doing in there anyways.

I want small, cozy, and bookshelf-lined, with lots of original wood. I want lots of breakables, because Town Grandma can be slightly intimidating to my future grandkids. I was terrified of one of my grandmothers as a small child, and I've come to like her best.

My rather formal, slightly intimidating Urban Century Home can be offset by The Farmhouse.

/via/


The farmhouse is where kids and grandkids can come to have Adventures. Fun Grandma will live in the country. The wee ones can spill their milk and bake and run around in their outdoor shoes inside, without me having a heart attack. In blending two families, I've come to learn that I'm very particular with my space and that not everyone loves that. I want a space where people can kick back and relax and watch football without worrying about spilling chips or breaking my antique Foo Dogs, which I just might like a teensier bit more than them.

Self-awareness is half the battle. I've come to realize that chill is what I'm not unless I'm in a super relaxed place where things are meant to be casual.

Anyhow, I've been Pinteresting like mad my dreams for my Urban Century Home and The Farmhouse. Right now, it's all imaginary money, so sky's the limit my friends. This is how I planned the Nova Scotia house until the cruel reality of budgets and shipping costs set in. Then it was all, would you like some Ikea with that Ikea?

Are any of you at the stage of thinking about your next home? Are you at the dreaming stage or the reality? Is Pinterest your friend or your foe?

Have any of you been following along with the Uninvited bible study by Lysa TerKeurst? It's so very very good. This week's lesson is on being set apart -- not set aside -- by God and tells the story of Hannah. If you are looking to beef up your bible literacy and be inspired, it's well worth the watch.

XO






4 comments:

  1. I've yet to try Pinterest for I fear I'll be down that rabbit hole and won't ever come up again. However, we can all dream of our perfect house and it seems like this pinning lark might just be a good idea when crystallizing exactly what it is that you are looking for in a house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is addictive! It's great for dreaming. Not so good for practicality. xx

      Delete
  2. I've been dreaming about my next home for years! I want small town and cozy with all the things you mentioned.Finding it is the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge is always in executing the plan, isn't it! xo

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

Greenleaf, organizing, and simple neutrals for fall

So, how are you? Ready for the weekend? I always find the second week back to school the hardest, as the routine is not set yet nobody has...